Friday, June 13, 2008

A City Walk and Program Orientation

I did go for a quick jaunt around the Washington DC by foot before my orientation this afternoon. I just headed towards the center of town and kept running into important landmarks all over the place. I saw Ford’s Theatre (where Lincoln was shot), the FBI Building, the IRS, DOJ, EPA, National Archives, the Capitol Building, the Washington Monument, Saint Patrick’s Cathedral, and a few others as well. I didn’t make it to the mall or the White House because I ran out of time and needed to find my way back to the Goethe-Institut. It was certainly hot and sticky, but it was still fun to walk around. Once I made it back we had several hours of programming to get us ready for our two week trip. We got to know each other, met our coordinators, learned about Germany, and got some instructions about the trip. We then had a nice Mediterranean-style dinner. We also received our flight information for tomorrow. We fly from Washington Dulles to Munich and then onto Berlin. We leave at 3:20 PM tomorrow on Lufthansa and get into Berlin at about 8:35 AM (2:35 AM on Sunday local time). So, it will be a very long day since we will fly all night and still have a full day of sightseeing ahead of us tomorrow. We have some more orientation tomorrow in the morning, and then our flight, so I should be getting to bed. It may be more than a day before I post again because of the flight and time difference. The pictures below are of Ford’s Theatre, The Capitol, and of Stephan teaching us about the German educational system at the Goethe-Institut.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi MR. Heiden!

Washington dc sounds so fun!
i just got back from Nicaragau. it was very intresting to see how some people live i hope your trip is going well!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr. Heiden,
It sounds like you are going to have a good time. I can't wait to see pictures from germany.
Have fun

Mark Heiden said...

Grace,

You're back already! I knew you were leaving soon after school, but I didn't realize you'd be back so quickly. I'd love to hear about that trip sometime...I've never been around that area.

Mark Heiden said...

Thanks for reading, Griffin!