Wednesday, June 18, 2008

More Berlin Wall

We next visited a famous Berlin porcelain factory called KPM WELT. Though it was interesting, I will be honest that it wasn’t all that excited to me since I can’t imagine why someone would spend thousands of dollars on pottery. Next though we went to see the Berlin Wall memorial where there is still part of the wall standing. It was very interesting to see what the wall complex looked like, because it wasn’t just a wall. There was a west wall and an east wall, with a kill zone in between and towers and barbed wire and guards all along it. In the photo below you can see a little better what it did look like when it was operational. Remember, this cut the city in two.

Now, I am back at the hotel after a very long and tiring day. We are heading out in a bit for Turkish food. Berlin has a huge Turkish population (their biggest migrant population), so having Turkish food here is necessary. I won’t update again tonight unless something goes wild with my meal!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are really seeing a lot! You will know a great deal about Germany by June 28. Do you ever get free time?
Love, MOM

Mark Heiden said...

We do have free time on this Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. I am thinking of going Trabant hunting....google it.