Saturday, June 28, 2008

A very full plane

We checked in at the airport today early and then walked around a bit before we reached our gate and found out that our plane was very overbooked. Sometimes airlines book more seats on a plane than are actually available, and this had happened on our flight. So, we thought that at least one of our group might not be able to get on the flight. But, then as we got ready to board the plane we found out that we might be able to volunteer to skip this flight and just fly home the next day. We would have all received about $1000 each along with a hotel and food allowance. So, several of us volunteered since $1000 sounded pretty good, but then they actually did have room for all of us, so we all got on the plane anyway. The flight was over an hour late leaving, but only arrived in Washington DC about 30 minutes late. Several of our group had very tight connections, so I hope they made it home OK. I am staying in the area for a while, so I just collected my belongings and headed out of the airport. You can see our 747 that we flew home on below.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

despite the heroic and may I say, athletically impressibe effort of running the length of the intl. terminal, a tram (narrow breating rest) and 53 gates...I arrived to find my connection still boarding, but unforunately full. By the time Friend Duncan (fit but evidently not fast) and 3 college guys (no excuse) 'rolled in line' the agent was already printing tickets for a UAL flight to Phoenix w/ connect to San Francisco. She said, "you're not gonna' like this, but you'll HAVE TO (her emphasis) RUN to make this flight. It was the reverse of the daunting run I had just completed. By the time I arrived, my clothes (jeans and dress shirt) looked as if I had just been swimming. no exaggeration. the agent tried to send me to customer service (20 minute wait) but I kept strong eye contact and used the 'force' to bend his will w/ a smile on my face. made the flight. after getting boarding pass - hit the mensroom and changed into my backup outfit of shorts and a Berlin tee shirt.

Several people approached me to comment on my adventure. I'll look forward to seeing how others fared.

Despite running (again)in Phoenix, I missed my connection due to an overzealous TSA agent that insisted on taking my sweat covered clothes out of a jumbo zip lock, unrolling them and checking the pockets - at a painfully slow rate.

A kind agent fit me onto a flight into a nearby airport that left 30 minutes later. Jet-lagged, I closed my eyes before flight took off and woke at landing in SFO...good nap.

Mark Heiden said...

Eric,
I wondered if you had made your flights...it sounds like it was quite an adventure. Flying across the world is always good for providing a story to tell....

I'm glad your're home.

Mark